It's time for more vintage photos from the Big Apple! New York City, that is. We'll start with this scan from July, 1965; we're in Chinatown, looking southwest along Bowery at the corner of Pell Street. Besides the interesting touches of "Chinese" decor (including that cool telephone booth!), there is a large billboard that is apparently left over from Barry Goldwater's 1964 Presidential campaign. "Chinese say in our hearts we know he is right". Barry lost to incumbent Lyndon B. Johnson, of course.
Here's a screen grab from Google Maps showing the same area as it looks today. Some of the buildings are still clearly recognizable, though new ones have been added.
While researching my photo, I found this jpeg online, clearly taken around the same time.
And while looking at vintage pinback buttons on eBay (which I do occasionally), I spotted this example! I would have had no idea to what it was referring months ago, but now I know that it is an anti-Goldwater button! Even the seller didn't know.
Next is this oddball photo (from September, 1962) of a cluttered construction scene. Was the photographer staying at the Greenwich Towers? Who knows. The slide mount had the words "Building subway" written on it, perhaps the photographer was interested in such things. Lucky for me, the street address and the name of the building helped me to pinpoint the location.
We're looking west on West 13th Street from 6th Avenue. The architectural details line up perfectly! And after all these years, there is still construction going on at that corner.
I hope you have enjoyed your visit to New York City!






0 Yorumlar