Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Maps, Maps and a Poem







Owl Wood has been mapped again.     


Son-in-law made a very simplified one, added some clues and hid treasure at certain points along the route...




It was a birthday party with a difference and the children all enjoyed it immensely. 

We had cleared wide pathways, not all children are as aware of nettles as my grandchildren are, we didn't want to spend the whole afternoon tending wailing children, soothing nettle stings and drying tears.   

They had a whale of a time charging around, trying to find their bearings, look for the symbols, then race on to the next place.   Fresh air, exercise and fun.

It was lovely to hear their excited voices - wouldn't want it every day, but now and again it is fine!


SiL's map of Owl Wood


Which brings me around to maps.     I love them!


Whenever I hear the radio programme "Desert Island Discs" (clickable link) I spend more time thinking about my choice of book than the music or luxury item.


I have decided that I would like a book of maps, but not just any old book of maps.




It would be a vast volume, but this is Desert Island Discs, so anything is possible...    In common with everyone else who is sent to an island, I would be in possession of the Complete Works of Shakespeare and the Bible, then I am given free choice on another book.

Given that I am not a great fan of rereading books, I have decided that the best thing would be this volume of maps, then I could study geography, have fun with the wonderful place names, remember journeys that I have made, family history, make future travel plans - a whole world of adventures to keep me entertained and lots of fresh input.





So, this book of maps.    It should cover the whole country, including all of Ireland.   I would like it to be mapped right down to Ordnance Survey level, so that I can see all the interesting features, follow footpaths, bridle ways, etc. 

It should also have a section of regular road maps. 

Best of all, it should contain the earliest Ordnance Survey maps, for comparison to the modern version...




Another one of my habits revealed.    I love maps, always have.

The final section would be filled with maps of the rest of the world, not down to such detail though. 

I would like this book so much that I would be happy to forgo my luxury item for it.

Have you got a book which you would take with you to your desert island?





The rest of my weekend is going to be spent working on trying to decipher the final half a dozen, or so words of the Crusader's poem.

For anyone new to this blog, this old letter was found in an attic.    It refers to a crusader's effigy, which is to be found in a local church.    At the time of writing (1837) the writer felt that it wasn't being afforded the respect and care it merited, indeed it had been left propped up in a dusty corner and forgotten.

The writer felt so strongly about it that they penned a long poem and sent it to whoever was the vicar at that time.  (Note to self: check the list.)       The letter was torn, stuck back together, then stored in the attic of the local 'squire' where it remained until recently.

I just have a final few words to decipher, then I can hand it over. 




Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar